Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Thrifty TUESDAY: A Landfill Chair Makeover.

Yes, I found this chair in the landfill. Not all nasty dumpster diving type of finding in a landfill, but from the somewhat organized “Too Good To Throw Out” section. This isn’t my first dump chair, as I found a 1960’s club chair before. I can’t help myself.

This one has a 1cent New York stamp on it, and it says it has complied with standards set in the 1920’s.

0601002212

It was produced by the Simmons Company, 5511 5th Avenue Kenosha, Wisconsin. Doing a little google research, I found in 1870, Zalmon G. Simmons built his first factory in Kenosha, Wisconsin. With the help of nine employees, Simmons originally manufactured wooden insulators and cheese boxes. It wasn’t until 1975 that Simmons moved it’s headquarters to Atlanta, Georgia, so I know this chair is at least 10 years older than I am, but with a 1 cent stamp? I’d hope it’s way older than I am.

This bad boy looked like this when I picked it up (our chain link fence and lack of grass really play up it’s weaknesses, no?)

IMG_5883

Hussy was actually pretty upset I wanted to take it home. I tried to ignore his complaining and focus on the possibilities this chair could become. It sat under our deck for a couple months while we built a deck, did some yard work, and started on the kitchen. But I finally took a moment to spray paint it a classic white I had on hand, and covered the seat with some $5 batting from Wal-mart and left over burlap fabric from my stash. Did you hear that? I only spent $5 on this chair!

IMG_6271 Now it’s Rupert’s favorite chair. In fact, he won’t let me photograph it without him on it.

IMG_5979

And Hussy has retracted his complaints about it after seeing the potential unfold (and having happy cats and wife ). Mission accomplished.

IMG_6218

No comments:

Post a Comment