Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thrifty Thursday: An Unexpected Score, Unexpected Store.

We’ve taken many, many trips to Ikea to get our kitchen in gear, since we’re using Ikea cabinets. Measuring, changing, remeasuring, discontinued cabinets, wrong parts put in our carts, etc. We practically live there. We’ve also spent a lot of time in the as-is section hoping for more highly discounted doors, but haven’t been very lucky lately. However, I found the mother of all surprises on our last trip. I was so excited, I held it like a baby the rest of our shopping trip. I’m a sad person, I know.

IMG_6332

It looks like your ordinary pitcher (with sticky goo residue on it. I was too lazy to goo-gone it before snapping photos). But I see similar ones even in thrift stores for 5-10 times the price. With that math, can you imagine how much I paid for this one?

IMG_6329 That’s right. 99cents for a $13 pitcher, because it has a little mark on the top of the rim. Which, by the way, gets covered up by flowers… or I can just turn it the other way and no one will even notice!

IMG_6339 Well, except you. If you ever came to my house and was all “hey, that pitcher has a chip! you ain’t foolin me!” In that case, I’d be like “that’s character, son!” It’s called the SOCKERÄRT vase. It’s almost 9” tall, which is much bigger than these pictures make it out to be.

IMG_6340

I was/am so proud. I’ve been longing for this thing for months, seeing it in tons of my inspiration files, but never ponied up the cash. It’s annoying being so cheap :( But my sweet is home safe and sound with me now, for about a 92% discount. That, my friends, is a thrifty find.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there!
    I'm Swedish and that is a Swedish vase with a swedish name. It means "sugar pea"!
    Love your blog, and by the way, my name is Isabell Lawless (have my own blog) and I found your blog via All Bower Power blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A girl after my own heart! I also went thrifting today and made out like a bandit! Don't you love good thrift finds?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, goodness, now I love it more knowing it's real name! I have so many Ikea items I can't pronounce and now I want to know what they all mean :) I'm glad you found me, and I love your name Isabell!

    Oh I know... I found a ton of stuff last week that will have to wait until next week to make their debut :) I have to contain myself sometimes, but I have so many empty tables that need a little excitement!

    ReplyDelete