Monday, May 31, 2010

A Kitchen Renovation: Well Hung.

We are finally getting to the fun part. Maybe assembling cabinets from scratch (well, flat-packed IKEA boxes) aren’t everyone’s definition of fun, but I LOVE THIS. LOVE IT. Honest to goodness, if I could assemble Ikea Kitchens everyday, I think I would be in heaven. It’s fun, it passes the time, it gives a good excuse for some rockin’ Pandora, and it’s rewarding when it’s put together and functions properly. I seriously love doing kitchens. Now if only every room in this house was a kitchen, I would be floating on air. So since I can’t do that in real life, I had to pick one style, and although I picked many different things along the way… we ended up with Nexus Brown-Black Ikea Akurum Cabinets with Avsikt Frosted Glass Doors. That’s a mouthful and a half, isn’t it? Basically black and frosted glass cabinets.

Taking it back old school, our kitchen came with the original 1950’s steel cabinets. They were cool, but they were old with old cabinet problems. And being somewhat caring of what exactly holds our food and keeps it fresh, storing our food and dishware in something older than my parents didn’t really sit (or hang) well with us. Here’s the original hung cabinets:

24

Luckily we already had some of the uppers already hung in our hold-me-over kitchen update:

4

So the bar was ready to go back up to hang those cabinets back in place. Super easy.

IMG_6293IMG_6291

The fun part was measuring for the other side of the room that had NO upper cabinets. It wasn’t that bad with two hands. Oh, and 4 paws. We’re so lucky to have such a great helper.

IMG_6290

And while we were at it, we hung up our Ikea Wine Rack and installed some token bottles of wine including one from my last wine tasting a couple years ago, our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic, and a special honeymoon wine we planned to drink ON our honeymoon, but still keep forgetting to drink :)

IMG_6289

Here’s a little sneak peek at what the cabinets look like now, with the curtains I made out of Target Napkins. I can’t wait to show you how I made them!

IMG_6313

No comments:

Post a Comment