Thursday, March 18, 2010

Thrifty Thursday: Spring Forward

I introduced you to the living room mockup a few weeks ago to interject a little style and texture into the living room.

lrcomplete

I decided to hit up 3 of my favorite places to update a space: Goodwill, Joann Fabrics, and the Dollar Tree. The easiest way to update a room is to get some cheap vases, Dollar Store flowers, and sew a few $5 pillow covers (zipper included!) on your existing pillow forms. Piece of cake, and super cheap. I’ll touch more on the pillow cases later, since this is THRIFTY Thursday :)

I hit up Goodwill first. I was going to look for frames to put on the frameless mirrors in our living room and bathroom, but two things jumped out at me that I couldn’t pass up. The first was a little jug that was priced at $2.25.

IMG_2906

It had a small chip, but I figured with flowers in it, you won’t see it anyhow.

IMG_2908

Plus I always like the misfits. That’s all I had until I was walking out and a clock caught my eye. Another misfit, no arms, and it’s cheap plastic on the bottom. But it had a good solid top, and it fit on the bottom snug.

IMG_2909

I’ve had my eye out for a clock like this ever for a few months, and I was more than willing to plop down the $3.25 they were asking for it:

IMG_2910

I’m debating on what color to paint it, and I may dismantle the clock portion and put something else under the glass. Then I got to the counter, and my total came up to $2.88. Wait, what? They marked them 50% off!

IMG_2915

So with my surprise discount, I decided to hit up the Dollar Tree to get some flowers to put in the little jug, and the other vases I have in the living room. For $7.35, I made out like a bandit.

IMG_2920

I was able to make 5 full arrangements that will last forever. Ok, at least through Spring before I’ll want to update them again for Summer, but they’ll be back around for next year!

IMG_2927

IMG_2930

IMG_2935

IMG_2941

Check out the church directory photo behind our NEW LAMPS :) I’ll be posting another update on the living room redo progress next. Lets just say it’s been backbreaking work.

No comments:

Post a Comment